Emergency preparedness is key for end stage renal disease (ESRD) patients and providers. The Conditions for Coverage require that all facilities provide patient education, staff training, emergency planning, and facility drills. This section includes resources developed specifically for ESRD patients and providers to help them prepare, respond, and recover from disasters. In the event of an emergency or disaster, this page will include up-to-date information, including important messages, weather alerts, and facility open/closed status.
Here are some important numbers to use in the event of an emergency:
- DaVita: 800.400.8331
- Fresenius: 800.626.1297
- ARA: 888.880.6867
- Satellite: 800.367.8292
- SAMHSA - Disaster Distress Helpline: 800.985.5990
- US Renal Care: 866.671.8772
- Veteran Disaster Relief Hotline: 800.507.4571
COVID-19 State-Specific Resources
- Arkansas: https://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/programs-services/topics/novel-coronavirus
- Arkansas COVID-19 Call Center:
- General Questions: 800.803.7847 (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- After Hours/Weekends (Urgent): 800.554.5738
- Arkansas COVID-19 Call Center:
- Louisiana: http://ldh.la.gov/coronavirus
- Louisiana COVID-19 Call Center: 800.256.2748
- Oklahoma: https://coronavirus.health.ok.gov
- Oklahoma COVID-19 Call Center: 877.215.8336 or 2-1-1
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) dialysis-related guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Interim Additional Guidance for Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 in Outpatient Hemodialysis Facilities
- New National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) COVID-19 Module
- Preparing Outpatient Hemodialysis Facilities for COVID-19
- Special Considerations for Patients on Home Dialysis
- COVID-19 Outpatient Dialysis Facility Preparedness Assessment Tool
- Factsheet for Patients―Keeping Patients on Dialysis Safe
- Factsheet for Facilities―How Our Facility Is Keeping Patients Safe From COVID-19
- Presentation for Facilities―Preparing Outpatient Hemodialysis Facilities for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Outpatient Dialysis Cleaning and Disinfection Webpage
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) guidance: https://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/Emergency/EPRO/Current-Emergencies/Current-Emergencies-page
ESRD Provider Telehealth and Telemedicine Tool Kit: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/esrd-provider-telehealth-telemedicine-toolkit.pdf
For other COVID-19-related patient and provider resources, you can visit the following websites:
- Kidney Community Emergency Response (KCER) Coalition website: https://www.kcercoalition.com/
- ESRD National Coordinating Center: https://esrdncc.org/
COVID-19 Vaccination Resources
- COVID-19 Vaccine Confidence Flyer―This two-page document provides staff guidance and talking points on how to address COVID-19 vaccination hesitation and ways to increase vaccination confidence with patients.
- Vaccine Wallet Card
- Re-Opening America: What Patients Should Know About Seeking Healthcare (English/Spanish)
- COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions by ESRD Patients
- Where Patients Can Find Creditable Information
- Multiple Ways to Connect With Others
- COVID-19 and ESRD Tele- and Online-Support Groups
- 4 Ways to Empower Yourself to Cope with COVID-19
- 4 Ways to Empower Yourself to Cope with COVID-19 (Spanish, courtesy ESRD Network of Texas)
- ESRD NCC Patient Web Tool
Mental Health Resources
- Managing Stress and Coping
CDC information and tips on dealing with stress and anxiety during the COVID-19 outbreak: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/managing-stress-anxiety.html
- SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) Disaster Distress Helpline: https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/disaster-distress-helpline
The Disaster Distress Helpline is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national multilingual hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. Call 1.800.985.5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.
- 10 Mental Health Tips for Nurses During the COVID-19 Outbreak: https://nurse.org/articles/nurse-mental-health-selfcare-covid19/
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Mental Health Coronavirus Resources: https://www.phe.gov/emergency/events/COVID19/mental-behavioral-health/Pages/default.aspx
- Coalition for Supportive Care of Kidney Patients: https://www.kidneysupportivecare.org/
Covid-19 resources for patients and providers, including a weekly, open discussion call for professionals to encourage and support one another during the COVID-19 outbreak.
The Kidney Community Emergency Response (KCER) Coalition website provides education, tools, and resources related to emergency planning, including mental health resources and information about, and for, community partners.
This area of the Kidney Community Emergency Response (KCER) Coalition website provides Spanish language education, tools, and resources related to emergency planning, including mental health resources and information about, and for, community partners.
This monthly newsletter highlights the top and trending topics in emergency preparedness and safety for ESRD patients and providers.
KCER has helpful tools and resources to help you understand the new CMS Emergency Preparedness Final Rule and to help you implement by the November 2017 deadline.
This provider manual is organized according to the principles of emergency management: Mitigation, Preparedness, Response, and Recovery.
Place this poster that outlines what patients need to do to prepare for an emergency and other steps to consider for kidney transplant patient and family disaster planning in your transplant facility.
Ready.gov is a national public service advertising (PSA) campaign designed to educate and empower Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies including natural and man-made disasters. The goal of the campaign is to get the public involved and ultimately to increase the level of basic preparedness across the nation.
Listo.gov, the Spanish language version of Ready.gov, is a national public service advertising (PSA) campaign designed to educate and empower Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies including natural and man-made disasters. The goal of the campaign is to get the public involved and ultimately to increase the level of basic preparedness across the nation.
The National Resource Center on Advancing Emergency Preparedness for Culturally Diverse Communities (“Diversity Preparedness”) is a virtual center that houses a library of resources on emergency preparedness in diverse and at-risk communities.
This CDC page provides guidance and updates about the Zika virus.
This National Institutes of Health page provides links to national and international updates on Zika virus.
This CDC page provides links to the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports (MMWR) for Zika virus.
A listing of all Network 13 facilities with reported generator status.
Network 13 Patient Demographics by State and Network
State-specific emergency management contacts by county.
Find a Dialysis Unit
Users have the ability to find contact information, as well as open and close information, on dialysis units in the USA.
Find and compare Medicare-certified dialysis facilities and get information about chronic kidney disease, dialysis and transplants.
Find and compare Medicare-certified dialysis facilities and get information about chronic kidney disease, dialysis and transplants. Spanish.
ESRD Network 13 | 4200 Perimeter Center Drive, Suite 102 | Oklahoma City, OK 73112 | 405.942.6000