Two of the major barriers to coordinated and effective care for dialysis patients in long-term care (LTC) facilities are:
- Poor communication between dialysis clinics and LTC staff.
- A lack of knowledge/information sharing regarding the special needs of dialysis patients.
Good communication between the dialysis clinics and LTC facilities is essential to ensuring patients':
- Satisfaction and experience of care.
- Adherence to treatment protocols, including:
- Medication regimens.
- Dietary restrictions.
- Dialysis schedules.
Effective collaborative care can have a profound effect on patients' health outcomes and the provision of quality of care.
This presentation, a collaborative effort between HSAG: ESRD Network 15, Telligen, and the Colorado Health Care Association & Center for Assisted Living (CHCA), provides essential information reagarding:
- The nutritional needs of LTC residents who have an ESRD diagnosis.
- Resident rights regarding their diet/fluid intake.
- Fluid management and the importance of weight for ESRD patients.
- The imporatnce of medication management for a person with ESRD.
- Desirable/apprpriate menu choices for LTC/ESRD patients.
This document is a general tip sheet for long-term care facilities to review to help them meet the special needs of their dialysis patients. Every dialysis patient has an individualized prescription and specific needs. Close collaboration between the long-term care and dialysis facilities is crucial at all times.View Resource
Nutrition Recommendations to Keep Your Dialysis Patients Healthy is an easy to use tool and reference guide for helping your ESRD patients stay as healthy as possible through appropriate diet and fluid intake. It is an easy-to-follow guide to ESRD patients' renal high-protien diet requirements, including:
- Allowed/recommended high-protien foods and supplements.
- Potassium management.
- Phosphorus management.
- Sodium and fluid management.
Download and watch the webinar presented January 22, 2019.View Resource
- Contact Us
- Medicare Quality Improvement (QIO)
- HSAG HQIC Partnership
ESRD Networks Home
- ESRD Network 7
- ESRD Network 13
ESRD Network 15
- About Us
- Care Transitions
- Contact Us
- Emergency Preparedness
- ESRD National Coordinating Center (NCC) ACTivation Newsletters
- ESRD Network 15 Agreement
- Events Calendar
- For Patients and Families
- Bridging Communication Between Dialysis and Long-Term Care
- Increase Rates of Patients on a Transplant Waitlist
- Lines of Communication
- Patient and Family Engagement
- Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Vascular Access
- Learning and Action Networks
- Network 15 Podcasts
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- Quality Improvement Activities
- ESRD Network 17
- HSAG: ESRD Network Events
- HSAG ESRD Alerts, Recalls, and Notices
- Pharmacy and Quality Measurement Division
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- QPP Service Center
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)