The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recognizes that patients, families, and caregivers are essential partners in the effort to improve the quality and safety of healthcare provided to all patients. It is only by including them as active members of their own healthcare team that quality can be improved and care become more patient-centered; by fully engaging patients, families, and caregivers in the design, delivery and evaluation of care, it is made safer, treatment plan adherence is increased, and hospital readmissions are reduced. Research shows that individuals who feel responsible for their own health tend to have better health outcomes.
The resources found here will help all participants on the healthcare team to fully engage in the process of care for end stage renal disease (ESRD) patients.
This document takes a look at the underlying causes of conflict that could possibly lead to abusive behaviors and provides some suggestions on how to avoid or deal with difficult situations.View Resource
This document can be provided to patients who are interested in starting a support group. It defines what a support group is, why it is difficult to find a support group, how to start one, as well as providing tips for running support group meetings.View Resource
This four-page tip sheet provides a comprehensive overview of how to decrease dialysis patient—provider conflict by assessing facility culture and policies to better understand the causes of patient—provider conflict at the facility level.View Resource
The Department of Health and Human Services National Quality Strategy’s new focus on better care for the individual through beneficiary- and family-centered care involves working with patients rather than doing to or for patients. Such partnerships are mutually beneficial to the patients and the facility. Involving patients in your facility’s Quality Assurance & Performance Improvement (QAPI) and/or Governing Body meetings can be an effective means of engagement and partnership. This document can help you get started.View Resource
This helpful resource explains why patient groups are so important and provides tips for establishing a group, popular topics for group discussions, and a list for existing renal support groups beyond the Network.View Resource
Share this document, created by the Network 15 Patient Advisory Council (PAC), with your patients who have questions about peer mentors; what they are and what they are not. It addresses:
- What essential values a peer mentor must have
- What Makes a peer mentor valuable
- What the responsibilities of a peer mentor are
- What a peer mentor is not
Use this template to invite patients, family members, and/or caretakers to QAPI and governing body meetings. It provides information every invitee needs to be prepared for and get the most out of these important patient engagement opportunities.View Resource
Provide patients who have been selected to attend your QAPI and/or governing body meetings with this helpful tool designed to help them (and you) get the most out of their meeting attendance.View Resource
This tip sheet and team activity about understanding patients' perception of retaliation is an effective tool to use with staff when discussing how to handle patient grievances and compliants.View Resource
This patient-developed document provides short, simple suggestions to facility staff on how to best engage and communicate with patients, including:
- Showing respect.
- Being sensitive to patients' feelings and preferences.
- Using two-way communication tactics.
- Being professional.
- Working collaboratively.
- Establishing mutual trust.
- Contact Us
- Medicare Quality Improvement (QIO)
- HSAG HQIC Partnership
ESRD Networks Home
- ESRD Network 7
- ESRD Network 13
ESRD Network 15
- About Us
- Care Transitions
- Contact Us
- Emergency Preparedness
- ESRD National Coordinating Center (NCC) ACTivation Newsletters
- ESRD Network 15 Agreement
- Events Calendar
- For Patients and Families
- Bridging Communication Between Dialysis and Long-Term Care
- Increase Rates of Patients on a Transplant Waitlist
- Lines of Communication
Patient and Family Engagement
- Addressing Abusive Behaviors in the Dialysis Center
- Communication Tips for Earning a Win
- Facilitating an ESRD Support Group 101
- Network 15 Decreasing Patient Conflict Tip Sheet
- Nothing About Me without Me: Including Patients in QAPI and Governing Body Meetings
- Patient Councils, Patient and Family Support Groups, and New Patient Adjustment Support Groups
- Peer Mentoring: A Valuable Resource for New Dialysis Patients
- QAPI/Governing Body Meeting Invitation Template
- Quality Assessment & Performance Improvement (QAPI) Patient & Family Meeting Notes
- Retaliation for Filing Grievances—Does it Exist? Tip Sheet and Team Activity
- The Benefit of Getting Your Grievance "In Order"
- Tips from the HSAG: ESRD Network 15 PAC: Mindful Patient-Staff Engagement
- Tips to Improve Patient Engagement
- Vital Signs—Something's Missing
- Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Vascular Access
- Learning and Action Networks
- Network 15 Podcasts
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- Quality Improvement Activities
- ESRD Network 17
- HSAG: ESRD Network Events
- HSAG ESRD Alerts, Recalls, and Notices
- Pharmacy and Quality Measurement Division
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- QPP Service Center
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)