End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) is irreversible kidney disease which requires treatment with an artificial kidney (dialysis) or a kidney transplant for a person to maintain life and health. In 1972, legislation was passed to extend Medicare coverage to virtually all people with ESRD. Network 17 is one of 18 Networks under contract with CMS to oversee the ESRD program. Network responsibilities include:
- Assuring the effective and efficient administration of benefits
- Improving quality of care for ESRD patients
- Collecting data to measure quality of care
- Providing assistance to ESRD patients and providers
- Evaluating and resolving patient grievances
The territory of Network 17 includes Northern California, Hawaii, Guam, Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.
Network 17 Goals
In accordance with the legislative mandate for the ESRD Network Program; to assist CMS in meeting Agency goals (e.g.,ensuring the right care for every person every time); and in keeping with sound medical practice, the strategic goals of the ESRD Network Program are to:
- Improve the quality and safety of dialysis related services provided for individuals with ESRD.
- Improve the independence, quality of life, and rehabilitation (to the extent possible) of individuals with ESRD through transplantation, use of self-care modalities (e.g., peritoneal dialysis, home hemodialysis), in-center self-care, as medically appropriate, through the end of life.
- Improve patient perception of care and experience of care, and resolve patient's complaints and grievances.
- Improve collaboration with providers to ensure achievement of the goals through the most efficient and effective means possible, with recognition of the differences among providers (e.g., independent, hospital-based, member of a group, affiliate of an organization, etc.) and the associated possibilities/capabilities.
- Improve the collection, reliability, timeliness, and use of data to measure processes of care and outcomes; maintain Patient Registry; and to support the ESRD Network Program.
Under the direction of CMS, the End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Network Program consists of a national network of 18 ESRD Networks, responsible for each U.S. state, territory, and the District of Columbia. ESRD Networks service geographic areas based on the number and concentration of ESRD beneficiaries.View Resource
If you have a concern about the care being provided to you or family member in a dialysis clinic, you may call the Network at any time. However, you are encouraged to speak to the clinic manager, charge nurse, or social worker first. This resource will provide you with more information about the Network grievance process, including how to file a grievance.View Resource
Network 17 is looking for patients to help improve the quality of care for ESRD patients by volunteering as patient subject matter experts on our Patient Advisory Committee (PAC).View Resource
Network 17 is looking for care partners to help improve the quality of care for ESRD patients by volunteering as care partner subject matter experts on our Patient Advisory Committee (PAC).View Resource
This guide explains the roles and responsibilities of Network 17 patient subject matter experts (SMEs).View Resource
Please complete and submit this form to participate on the Network Patient Advisory Committee (PAC) and/or as a Network Subject Matter Expert (SME).View Resource
Network 17 is looking for administrators, nephrologists, vascular surgeons, transplant surgeons, nephrology nurses, transplant nurses, social workers, registered dietitians, and patient care technicians from Florida ESRD facilities that are committed to improving the quality and experience of care for ESRD patients.View Resource
ESRD Network 17 | 533 Airport Blvd., Suite 400, Burlingame, CA 94010 | 415.897.2400
- About Us
- For Patients and Families
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- For Providers
- Emergency Preparedness
- Quality Improvement Activities for 2019
- Learning and Action Networks
- Care Transitions
- Continuing Education
- Contact Us
- Events Calendar
- ESRD Network 17 Agreement