Following are links to tools that will assist you in achieving your BSI reduction goals:
Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) Resources
- 2020 BSI Quality Improvement Orientation (QIA) Webinar (PDF)
- QAPI QIA BSI Monitoring Form
Use the QAPI QIA BSI Monitoring Form (PDF) for tracking access- and CVC-related BSIs, the number of patients who have had two or more BSIs within a 12-month period, and BSI prevention education and for discussion of progress toward goals during QAPI meetings.
Medical Records Request Form
Use this fillable form that requires facility medical director sginature to request blood culture results and other medical records for your patients.
- CDC Core Interventions
These Core Interventions have been proven to reduce dialysis-related BSIs. Apply these interventions when using the Audit Tools and Checklists.
- CDC Core Intervention Poster
This poster outlines the CDC approach to BSI prevention in dialysis facilities.
- CDC Days Since Last Bloodstream Infection poster
- CDC Arteriovenous Fistula and Graft (AVF and AVG) Cannulation Tools
CDC Audit Tool: Hemodialysis Hand Hygiene Observations (For monthly reporting.)
- CDC Catheter Care Tools
- CDC Catheter Exit Site Tools
- Training Videos and PowerPoints
- CDC Preventing BSIs in Outpatient Dialysis Patients (Video 11:17)
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Dialysis Event Surveillance Training
- This training is mandatory on an annual basis.
- What is a Learning and Action Network (LAN)? (Video 2:17)
- Health Information Exchange (HIE) for Dialysis Providers (Slides) (Recording)
- Delivered by Florida HIE Services March 29, 2018
- CDC Infection Protection Tools Page
This page includes additional links to all CDC infection protection tools, including core interventions, the Scrub-the-Hub Protocol, all audit tools and checklists, as well as clinician education.
- BSI Patient Pledge (English/Spanish)—Use this patient pledge with your patients to promote good hand hygiene practices.
- Infection Prevention—Washing Your Vascular Access (English/Spanish)
This one-page document can be used with patients to explain the importance of washing the access and recognizing the signs and symptoms of infection.
- Clean Hands Saves Lives (English/Spanish)
This one-page document explains what patients should look for when observing staff hand hygiene procedures.
- Sepsis Zone Tool (English/Spanish)
This one-page document specifies and categorizes symptoms of sepsis and actions to be taken if those symptoms manifest by green—No Signs of Infection, yellow—Caution, and re—Medical Alert.
- Contact Us
- Medicare Quality Improvement (QIO)
- HSAG HQIC Partnership
ESRD Networks Home
ESRD Network 7
- About Us
- For Patients and Families
- Patient and Family Engagement (PFE)
- For Providers
- Emergency Preparedness
Quality Improvement Activities
- Reducing Rates of Bloodstream Infections QIA
- Reducing Long-Term Catheter (LTC) Use
- Increasing Rates of Patients on a Transplant Waitlist
- Increasing Rates of Patients Dialyzing at Home QIA
- Improving Pain Assessment
- Supporting Gainful Employment of ESRD Patients QIA
- Increasing Vaccination Rates
- Learning and Action Networks
- Care Transitions
- Contact Us
- Continuing Education
- Events Calendar
- ESRD Network 13
- ESRD Network 15
- ESRD Network 17
- HSAG: ESRD Network Events
- HSAG ESRD Alerts, Recalls, and Notices
- ESRD Network 7
- Healthcare Policy and Quality Measurement
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- QPP Service Center
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)