Tuesday, July 31, 2018, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET.
In this web seminar, Andrea Garr will provide an overview of the United Family Caregivers project in Milwaukee, WI., and lessons learned from this project. She also will discuss best practices when working in cross-cultural environments with African American caregivers.
Dr. Lisa Barnes’ portion of the presentation will focus on disparities in Alzheimer’s dementia and cognitive impairment as it relates to African Americans. She will discuss some of the most widely cited reasons for the disparities and describe findings on risk factors for cognitive decline from her cohort study, the Minority Aging Research Study.
Participants in this web seminar will be able to:
- Describe disparities in Alzheimer’s dementia between African Americans and whites.
- Identify risk factors for cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s dementia in older African Americans.
- Learn about the strategies used in the United Family Caregivers intervention to help African American caregivers overcome barriers and gain access to local dementia-related supports and services.
- Learn best practices when working with African American caregivers and families who are caring for a loved one with dementia.
Andrea Garr is a dementia specialist with professional expertise as a direct service provider, researcher and diagnostic screener. She is a contributor and collaborator in strategic planning for and efforts to build a dementia-friendly–dementia-capable Milwaukee County, WI.
Lisa Barnes, Ph.D., is a cognitive neuropsychologist at the Rush Alzheimer’s Disease Center and a professor of Neurological Sciences and Behavioral Sciences, both at Rush University, Chicago, Ill. She is principal investigator of three community-based cohort studies of older African Americans, and directs the Rush Center of Excellence on Disparities in HIV and Aging.
- Contact Us
- Medicare Quality Improvement (QIO)
- HSAG HQIC Partnership
- ESRD Networks Home
- Healthcare Policy and Quality Measurement
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- QPP Service Center
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/AMP)