Thursday, March 22, 2018, 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PT.
This educational webinar will focus on the role of antibiotics in fighting bacterial infections in the nursing home setting. The key speaker will discuss what antibiotics are and how they work, basic terminology, potential risks and side effects of antibiotic use, general considerations that guide use and prescribing, and why it is important to use antibiotics judiciously. The session will also share resources available on the HSAG website and how to utilize the self-guided nursing home training sessions to enhance understanding of important concepts and practices that support implementation of principles and practices of antibiotic stewardship and prevention and management of C. difficile infections.
After attending this webinar, the attendee will be able to:
- Describe the process of how antibiotics work in the body and differentiate common terms related to antibiotics.
- Discuss the risks and benefits of antibiotic use.
- Identify or list common considerations related to choosing an antibiotic.
- Discuss why it is important to use antibiotics judiciously.
- Identify what the administrator and nursing home clinicians can do to ensure antibiotics are used appropriately and how a nursing home can monitor antibiotic use.
- Describe how to utilize available web resources to enhance understanding in stewardship and C. difficile management.
Dr. James McKinnell, MD is an infectious disease physician and Assistant Professor of Medicine from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Dr. McKinnell has worked with skilled nursing facilities on practical strategies of infection prevention and Antimicrobial Stewardship, including cutting edge research with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). He is an invited speaker at the Infectious Disease Association of California (IDAC) Practical Antimicrobial Stewardship program and serves on the Los Angeles County Healthcare-Associated Infections and Antimicrobial Resistance Committee.
- Contact Us
- Medicare Quality Improvement (QIO)
- HSAG HQIC Partnership
- ESRD Networks Home
- Healthcare Policy and Quality Measurement
- Medicaid External Quality Review
- QPP Service Center
- Audit and Validation Services (HEDIS®/P4P)