Improving Adult Immunization Rates While Reducing Immunization Disparities: HSAG Leads the Way
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), in alignment with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), has a five-year initiative to improve adult immunization rates and reduce immunization disparities for influenza, pneumonia, and shingles. These debilitating and communicable diseases are particularly prevalent in the over-65 population but can be reduced or prevented through the timely administration of immunization vaccines.
HSAG works directly with physician and provider offices, as well as with home health agencies (HHAs), beneficiaries, hospitals, key stakeholders, and communities in Arizona, California, and Florida to reach the Healthy People 2020 goals for adult immunization rates of:
This important work will be integrated into other HSAG quality innovation and improvement initiatives through learning and action network (LAN) events and educational activities that share evidence-based best practices, lessons learned, and success stories to document and increase adult vaccinations.
HSAG helps by:
- Conducting provider office workflow analyses to track and improve immunization rates that meet the Healthy People 2020 Immunization Rate goals for influenza, pneumonia, and shingles.
- Providing technical assistance to onboard practices into statewide immunization registries that meet eligible professional (EP) Meaningful Use (MU) Stage 2, measure #161
- Incorporating influenza vaccination into the Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) measures reporting to increase value-based payment.
- Informing and assisting HHAs and hospitals in immunization practices and reporting.
- Educating beneficiaries about the importance of knowing their immunization status and obtaining necessary vaccinations, including boosters for Tetanus and Diphtheria, and Pertussis (TDaP).
For additional information, please contact:
Diane B. Chronis, BS, RN, CMUP
HSAG Physician Office Executive Director
813.865.3170 or email@example.com