The Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) Toolkit is developed by Health Services Advisory Group (HSAG) to guide clinicians in increasing CKD screenings and implementing best practices to slow the progression of CKD. Start by completing the organizational assessment to assess readiness and plan for implementation. Use the resources in this toolkit to increase the use of evidence-based interventions into clinical care provided to your CKD patients.
- Risk of CKD Progression and Frequency of Assessment (PDF)
- Critical Care Algorithm: How to Manage Your CKD Patients (PDF) from the National Kidney Foundation (NKF)
- Quick Reference Guide on Urine Albumin-to-Creatinine Ratio (UACR) and Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR)
- Chronic Disease Assessment and Diagnosis FAQs (PDF)
- Patient-Centered Care Plan (PDF) from the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- In chronic kidney disease (CKD), adherence to medication is a key component of effective disease management (See Adherence to medication in patients with chronic kidney disease: a systematic review of qualitative research, Clin Kidney J. 2018 Aug.; 11(4): 513–527; study references 2, 3). The main goals of medication are to slow progression of the disease and monitor and correct disease-associated complications and comorbidities while treating the underlying etiology.
- Fostering Medication Taking: Tips and Tricks (PDF) from DiabetesEducator.org
- For hypertensive patients, refer to the Million Hearts® Improving Medication Adherence Among Patients with Hypertension (PDF)
Use these resources to download and share with your patients for better health outcome
- Just Diagnosed With CKD for Patients from the American Kidney Fund (AKF)
- NKF Patient and Family Resources
- CKD Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) from NKF and the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
- NKF Nutrition and Kidney Disease, Stages 1–4
- CKD Patient Brochure (PDF) from Sonora Quest
- AKF Medicines to Manage Kidney Disease
Please fill out the web-based form below for any questions or no-cost individualized technical assistance. An HSAG technical assistance team member will reach out to you for a more detailed discussion of your needs and the support CMS offers to your practice through HSAG regarding CKD screening and management.