The Hypertension Control Toolkit is developed by Health Services Advisory Group (HSAG) to help clinicians in managing high blood pressure. Review the resources in this toolkit to improve the care provided to hypertensive patients. Start by taking a quick web-based assessment of your organization to evaluate your current hypertension control efforts and identify opportunities to accelerate hypertension quality improvement initiative to achieve better control rates.
- 2017 Hypertension Clinical Practice Guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Academy of Family Physicians
- Other accepted guideline: 2017 Hypertension Clinical Practice Guideline from the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association
- For patients with diabetes: 2018 Hypertension Clinical Practice Guideline from the American Diabetes Association
- Comprehensive Care Plan: Hypertension (PDF) from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Learn about the two SMBP codes covered by Medicare so you don’t miss your chance to be reimbursed for SMBP services.
- How to accurately measure blood pressure at home (PDF) from HSAG
- SMBP Implementation Toolkit (PDF) from the National Association of Community Health Centers
- SMBP Action Steps for Clinicians (PDF) from Million Hearts®
- U.S. Validated Devices from the Validate BP is essential for accurate measurement of blood pressure. Refer to this list to identify blood pressure devices that have been validated for clinical accuracy.
- Reimbursement for Hypertension Self-management: SMBP CPT® coding (PDF) from the American Medical Association
- National Payment Amount from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- 2022 Controlling High Blood Pressure Medicare Part B Claims Measure Specification Sheet (PDF) from the CMS Quality Payment Program
- Improving Medication Adherence Among Patients with Hypertension (PDF) from Million Hearts®
Participate in the Million Hearts®, American Medical Association (AMA), and American Heart Association (AHA) hypertension control recognition programs to be recognized on a clinician or practice level. Join the drive to reduce the number of Americans who suffer from heart attacks and strokes.
- Target BP Recognition Program: Get recognized by the AMA and AHA for achieving blood pressure control rates at or above 70 percent within the populations you serve.
- The Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Challenge: Get recognized for achieving blood pressure control rates at or above 70 percent within the populations you serve.
- Hypertension Treatment Protocol (PDF) from the Million Hearts®
- Supporting Your Patients with High Blood Pressure Visit Checklist (PDF) from Million Hearts®
- Hypertension Control Change Package (PDF) from the Million Hearts®
- Teach-back Toolkit from the Institute for Healthcare Advancement
Share the following resources with your patients to educate your patients and to self-manage their blood pressure.
- Blood Pressure Basics Videos from Million Hearts®
- High Blood Pressure Medications and You Infographic (PDF) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Life's Simple 7 Manage Blood Pressure Infographic (PDF) from the American Heart Association
- Blood Pressure Wallet Card (PDF) from Million Hearts®
- Prevent High Blood Pressure from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
For any questions or for no-cost individualized technical assistance, please fill out the web-based form below. An HSAG technical assistance team member will reach out to you for a more detailed discussion of your hypertension quality improvement initiative.