The Tobacco Cessation Toolkit is developed by Health Services Advisory Group (HSAG) to help clinicians implement evidence-based tobacco cessation care in their practices. Use the resources in this toolkit to understand tobacco cessation intervention steps, coding and payment information, and patient education. Start by taking a quick web-based assessment of your organization to identify how your practice currently functions to support tobacco cessation activities.
- Protocol for Identifying and Treating Patients Who Use Tobacco (PDF) from Million Hearts®
- The Brief Tobacco Intervention (PDF) from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC Quitlines and Other Cessation Support Resources
Counseling for tobacco cessation, if well documented, can be reimbursed. Review the resources below to learn about the tobacco cessation counseling codes, national payment amount, and the documentation necessary to fulfill the billing requirements.
- Coding Reference: Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Counseling (PDF) from the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- Billing Guide for Tobacco Screening and Cessation (PDF) from Lung.org
- National Payment Amount from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Million Hearts® Tobacco Cessation Change Package (PDF)
- Million Hearts® Treating Patients Who Use Tobacco—Action Steps for Clinicians (PDF)
- Teach-back Toolkit from the Institute for Healthcare Advancement
- CDC Reasons to Quit Smoking (PDF)
- AAFP Quit Smoking Guide (PDF)
- Quit Smoking Questions and Answers from the American Lung Association
Technical Assistance—For any questions or for no-cost individualized technical assistance, please fill out the web-based form below. An HSAG technical assistance team member will reach out to you for a more detailed discussion on changes you can make to integrate tobacco cessation activities in your practice.